When it comes to hot dogs, ketchup and mustard are the classic go-to toppings that we all know and love. However, if you’re a hot dog lover who’s looking to switch things up and try something new, then you’re in luck! There are a plethora of delicious toppings and creative combinations that can take your hot dog game to the next level.
In this blog, we’ll be sharing 12 ways to top a hot dog that are much better than ketchup and mustard. From tangy and spicy relishes to creamy avocado and bacon bits, these toppings will make your taste buds dance with joy. So whether you’re firing up the grill for a summer barbecue, or simply looking for a quick and easy meal to whip up, these hot dog topping ideas are sure to impress. So, get ready to elevate your hot dog game and try out some of these tasty toppings that will have you saying goodbye to plain old ketchup and mustard forever!
- Banh Mi Spiral-Cut Hot Dogs: If you’re a fan of Vietnamese banh mi sandwiches, then you’ll love this twist on the classic hot dog. The hot dog is spiral-cut and topped with pickled veggies, cilantro, and sriracha mayo, all nestled in a fluffy baguette. It’s a perfect blend of savory, tangy, and spicy flavors.
- Spiral-Cut Hot Dogs with Spicy Cherry Relish: This sweet and spicy relish is made with fresh cherries, red pepper flakes, and honey, giving your hot dog a burst of fruity flavor with a kick. The spiral-cut hot dog provides plenty of nooks and crannies for the relish to nestle in, making each bite a flavor explosion.
Movie Theater Nachos Spiral-Cut Hot Dogs: Who says you can’t enjoy nachos on a hot dog? This topping is a perfect combination of crunchy tortilla chips, melty cheese, and jalapeños, all piled high on top of a spiral-cut hot dog. It’s like taking a trip to the movie theater snack bar, but in hot dog form. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover nacho toppings you have lying around.
- Spiral-Cut Bacon Dogs with Cheese: Bacon and cheese lovers, this one’s for you! This topping is simple yet delicious – just wrap the hot dog with bacon, spiral-cut it, and top it with your favorite cheese. The heat from the hot dog will melt the cheese, creating a gooey, savory topping that’s sure to satisfy your cravings. It’s a perfect option for a backyard barbecue or a quick and easy lunch.
- Barbecue Frito Crunch Dog: Take your hot dog to the next level with this crunchy and savory topping. Start by slathering your hot dog with barbecue sauce, then sprinkle on a generous amount of Fritos corn chips. The Fritos add a satisfying crunch to each bite, while the barbecue sauce provides a tangy and smoky flavor. It’s a perfect topping for those who love a little texture in their food.
- Mexican Mayo and Jalapeño Dog: If you’re a fan of Mexican flavors, this topping is sure to hit the spot. Spread a generous amount of Mexican mayo (made with lime juice and spices) on your hot dog, then top it off with sliced jalapeños and a sprinkle of cotija cheese. The creamy and tangy mayo pairs perfectly with the spicy kick from the jalapeños, while the crumbly cotija cheese adds a touch of saltiness. It’s a delicious and easy way to add some Mexican flair to your hot dog.
- Cheezy Chili Stix Dog: This topping takes inspiration from classic chili cheese fries, but in hot dog form. Start by spiraling your hot dog, then top it off with a generous scoop of chili and a handful of crunchy shoestring fries. Finish it off with a drizzle of melted cheese sauce for an extra gooey and indulgent topping. The combination of the savory chili, crispy fries, and melty cheese is sure to satisfy any cravings for comfort food.
- Bacon-Wrapped Avo Dog: Avocado lovers, unite! This topping is a match made in heaven for avocado aficionados. Start by wrapping your hot dog with bacon, then top it off with mashed avocado and a sprinkle of cilantro. The creaminess of the avocado pairs perfectly with the smoky bacon, while the cilantro adds a fresh and herbaceous touch. It’s a great way to add some healthy fats to your hot dog while still indulging in some bacon-y goodness.
- Spicy Pickle Dog: If you’re a fan of pickles and a bit of spice, this topping is perfect for you. Start by spiral-cutting your hot dog, then top it off with sliced spicy pickles and a drizzle of pickle juice. The pickles add a satisfying crunch and tangy flavor, while the pickle juice adds a bit of heat to the dish. It’s a great topping for those who love a bit of a kick in their food and want to add a twist to a classic hot dog.
- Fried Egg Dog: For those who love breakfast for dinner, this topping is a must-try. Start by spiral-cutting your hot dog, then top it off with a fried egg and a sprinkle of chives. The runny yolk from the egg provides a creamy and indulgent touch to the hot dog, while the chives add a fresh and herbaceous flavor. It’s a great way to add some protein to your hot dog and make it a bit more breakfast-like. Plus, it’s perfect for those who are looking for a quick and easy dinner option.
- Baked Bean Dog: This topping takes inspiration from classic American BBQ flavors. Start by spiral-cutting your hot dog, then top it off with a generous spoonful of baked beans and a sprinkle of chopped onions. The sweet and savory flavors of the baked beans pair perfectly with the salty hot dog and the sharpness of the onions. It’s a delicious way to add some BBQ flair to your hot dog without having to fire up the grill. Plus, it’s a great option for those who love a bit of sweetness in their savory dishes.
- Kewpie Dog: This topping takes inspiration from Japanese flavors and features Kewpie mayo, a popular Japanese brand of mayonnaise. Start by spiral-cutting your hot dog, then top it off with a generous amount of Kewpie mayo and a sprinkle of furikake (a Japanese seasoning made with dried fish, sesame seeds, and nori). The creaminess of the mayo pairs perfectly with the salty and umami flavors of the furikake, making for a delicious and unique topping that’s perfect for those who love Japanese flavors. It’s a great way to add some international flair to your hot dog and switch things up from the classic ketchup and mustard.